$239.99($399.95 40% off )
(194 customer reviews)
- Professionally tuned Digital EQ
- 16-bit lossless Digital Sound
- 50′ Range
- Sync up to 4 users from one music source
Go to Amazon.com
SYNC by 50 Cent Wireless Over-Ear Headphones – White by SMS Audio Customer Reviews
Great Sound, Comfort, and Build Quality – but Still a Few GripesTOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICE (By CKE)
There is a lot to love about the SMS Audio SMS SYNC by 50 Wireless Headphones. You can see a few of the features in the video portion of the review, but here is the executive summary to the review. Please note – that I tried and owned dozens of headphones and earbuds – including the Beats Studio by Dr. Dre (which I returned). So hopefully I can bring some perspective to the comparison.
Sound Quality – Very impressive sound certainly comparable to the Beats Studio by Dr. Dre. – They may not have quite the booming bass as the Beats Studio, but they have smoother response across the entire audible range. I noticed a difference classical music they had a very nice response and were not overly bright. I am not disappointed.
Noise Isolation – These headphones do not offer noise canceling technology, but they do offer very effective noise isolation. Even when the music is comfortable levels you will struggle to hear the people around talking. I was very impressed by the amount of ambient sound that I couldn’t hear.
Comfort – Easily the most comfortable headphone or earbuds that I have ever used. The cuffs fit the ears snuggly but feel like giant puffs of cotton strapped to your ears. The band does not pinch your head – no points to poke your head or hard plastic to rub against your head. In terms of comfort these are the top-of-the-line.
Durability and Fit- Very solid construction no sign of flimsiness (If that is a word). In my opinion the feel much more solid that the Beats Studio – I am very impressed.
Wireless Functionality – Probably the main reason why you will spend the extra case to buy the SMS Sync by 50.
The wireless functionality works well, but I was not able to get 50 feet – probably closer to 30 feet before I started getting some drops in the music. At first I thought it had something to do with my house, but then I went outside and found similar results. While 30 feet will work great on an airplane or in an office – it may limit you if you are working outside or wandering between rooms.
My main beef with the wireless functionality is that the tack forward and reverse does not work wirelessly. I understand why, since the wireless dongle plugs into the headphone jack so it can not control the ipod/ipad/iphone/device that it is connected to. This is a clear difference between using the Kleer technology and Bluetooth.
Other Points of Interest -
- One thing to recognize is that these headphones are enormous – they do not fold (which probably adds to their comfort)
- There is a blue light on the sides that blink. While it is kinda cool – your fellow passengers on an airplane may become annoyed. Fortunately, you can disable the blue light.
- Up to 4 headphones can be connected to a single Dongle. This is a bit cooler than it sounds. This is great for gaming, movies, or other group listening activities.
- Comes with a headphone wire that allows you to run them without the need of a charge on the battery. The headphone jack also has an integrated microphone and volume control.
- Battery life is 17 hours which is crazy long…. this means that your battery life will last long enough for both ends of a trans-Atlantic flight.
Final verdict – If the price was 50 percent less these would be an easy 5 star recommendation, but at the current price point it is hard to look past the flaws with the wireless connection.
Overall good but too many little things wrong (By Corey Johnson)
+ Good build quality, durable
+ Sounds good (I’m not an audiophile though)
+ Buttons for muting, turning on bass-boost work well
+ Cable is nice to have as a back-up
+ Range is great
– Headset turns on in sync mode and transmitter turns on into already sync’ed mode(?). It’s confusing but the reality is that I have to hold the sync button down for 3 seconds every time I turn on the transmitter. I can’t imagine if there we’re multiple transmitters around…
– If you mute the headset more more then a few minutes they turn off and you have to turn them on and then resync again.
– Battery life on the transmitter dongle not as long as the headset themselves and can not me used while plugged into a charger. I can listen to the headset all day (presumably the 17 hours they claim) but the transmitter last for about 8 – 10 hours.
– Signal drops a bit if I’m walking and the transmitter is in my pocket. If I put it in my jacket or shirt pocket it gets significantly better. Stationary they are really solid, only one or two pops a day. It’s weird because I can hold the transmitter in my hand and wave it around like a mad-man and it’s fine, but just walking causes pops.
– Plugging in the cable will boost the volume a ton if your not careful.
Overall, I like my headset but as a product there are just too many little things that are annoying and add up to give it anything more then 3 stars. If they update the product so it remembers what it’s sync’ed to and fixed the audio pops while walking I’d buy them again in a minute.
Awesome Sound, but Needs ImprovementVINE VOICE (By A. Ryan)
I’m not sure I can add anything here that others haven’t already said in detail, so just briefly…
Styling is awesome. The headphones look great. Very stylish.
Unbelievable comfort. The ear cups on these are covered in a soft, soft leather that is “like buttah.” They provide comfort beyond any headphones I’ve used before.
Sound is also unbelievable. Really, clean, crisp sound, with great fidelity, and with the bass boost, sound is full and robust.
The wireless range of these things is amazing. Great sound even from a couple of rooms away. They don’t work all throughout my home, but that’s fine with me. I can connect them to my iPhone or home stereo, and have the mobility to do housework or any other tasks around the house that I need to, as long as those tasks don’t take me too far away from the transmitter. I suppose that if you wanted to connect these to your home stereo, then go out and do yard work, you might be disappointed.
The carrying case is so convenient! It’s a great design, looks great, and holds everything you need for these headphones. A big plus for the product.
As others have mentioned, the controls don’t work wirelessly. While I understand why this is, it does seem like for wireless headphones, it’s a pretty big glaring problem. Some have said they’ve been able to get the controls to work in some situations, but I haven’t yet figured out how to do it. Volume does work, but not well, and bass boost worked. Advance/Reverse did not work at all. Seems to me It might have been better to just have left those controls off the unit, then to have a bunch of irritated customers who want those features to work, but can’t get them to.
The wire that comes with the unit to turn it into a wired headphone set is convenient, but I notice that in terms of the above problem with the controls, “wiring” them, makes it so that they don’t work at all. Not even bass boost. Also, at least in my unit, the fidelity is way less with the wire than with the wireless transmitter. I noticed that with the wire, I had to turn the volume up twice as loud, and it just didn’t sound as good. Bummer.
On the other hand, it IS cool that with the wire, I can plug it into my iPhone, and be able to answer calls, thanks to an “answer phone” button and a microphone on the wire. I really like that feature.
Ultimately, the most important feature for me for any headphones is sound, and these deliver on sound in spades. It IS inconvenient that I can’t use the “on board” controls wirelessly, and I’m taking one star off for that, but overall, they’re the best headphones I’ve ever owned.
Are they worth they money? I’m on the fence there. They’d definitely be worth every penny if they could somehow get the “on board” controls to work wirelessly, but as they are now, I’m not so sure they’re priced right.
Go to Amazon.com